Saturday, August 11, 2012

Steak au Poivre

Steak au Poivre has always been an old favourite of mine, I just love it always have. It's rumoured to have originated in Maxim's of Paris in the 1920's the first restaurant I managed to spend over a thousand pounds for Dinner in the 1980's, still remember the Dinner long after the Girl I dined with is long forgotten.

It's so very much a dish of the 1920's there's a decadence, a richness about it thats hard to beat, there are a great many variations of it this is mine and to my mind the very best.

I used some matured Argentinian Rib Eye steak,took it from the fridge early to bring it to room temperature. Mixed some ground peppercorns with beef stock and reduced on high heat vigorously for about ten minutes got my griddle pan scarily hot and seared the steaks about one minute each side.

Then I added them to a frying pan on high heat that had some melted butter in,and added a glass of Brandy and Flambed, took the steaks out the pan and put in the oven for 4 minutes, added the reduced beef stock to the brandy and a glug of double cream, stir with a wooden spoon.

Remove the frying pan from the heat add the steaks from the oven and  some chopped Parsley..let it rest for five minutes the delicious juices will seep into the sauce, check the seasoning may need a pinch of salt I add a dribble of Worcestershire Sauce. Serve with a decent Claret and enjoy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment