Monday, September 10, 2012

Lebanese Aubergine and Tomato

My chums Jasmine and Bob were coming for Dinner, Jasmine is Syrian and not a big meat eater so I wanted a Middle Eastern style Vegetarian dish to go with Za'atar Roast Chicken and I concocted this and I have to say it really was quite good.
Start by cutting your Aubergines in half lengthwise and criss cross the flesh with a sharp knife salt and leave in a colander flesh side down.

Now finely chop an Onion and sauté to soften in Olive Oil, I added a clove of garlic to flavour the Oil which I later discarded.

Add some ground cumin to the onions and two chopped chills, seeds and all. Now add a tin of chopped Tomato a cup of chicken stock and a handful of pre cooked Chickpeas and Simmer.
After five minutes tip the whole lot into a roasting tray place your Aubergines on top add a generous glug of Olive Oil to the Aubergines and put in a preheated oven at 200C for an hour.

When you take them out the Oven add some chopped Parsley and Mint, the juice of a lemon on top of the Aubergine take to the table and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This was absolutely delicious especially served with my lamb kofta meatballs. Thanks for posting your recipe I got some very good feedback from my guests

    ReplyDelete